During the summer months, many homeowners use a fan to assist in circulating indoor air and increasing the comfort level of a too-warm room. Of all of the different types of fans exist on the market-window, pedestal, box, and wall-mount varieties-tower fans often rise above the rest. Its combination of high efficiency, space-saving design, surprisingly quiet operation, and impressive features are to thank for that.
If you're looking to buy one, keep reading for the key shopping considerations and our five top-rated picks for the best tower fan money can buy:
- BEST OVERALL: Pelonis 40-Inch Oscillating Tower Fan
- BEST IN TECH: Ozeri 3x 44-inch Tower Fan with Bluetooth
- BEST BLADELESS DESIGN: Air Choice 43-inch Bladeless Tower Fan
- BEST VALUE: COSTWAY 40-inch LCD Tower Fan
- BEST OSCILLATION COVERAGE: Airvention X01A Oscillating Tower Fan
Before making a purchase, consider the following factors to choose the best tower fan for your needs.
- Size: Tower fans have a tall and narrow design, allowing them to distribute airflow over a large area while taking up minimal floor space. On average, most tower fans stand 30 to 40 inches tall, and the base takes up about one square foot. Homeowners can easily position the fan in narrow spaces and corners, where it won't interrupt a room's foot traffic.
- Airflow Velocity: A fan's airflow velocity is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM), or how many cubic feet of air the fan can move per minute. Most of the time, consumers can find this information on the manufacturer's packaging, or by researching consumer reviews of the fan. Tower fans generally produce less airflow velocity than other types of fans, since blades on a tower fan (which are housed within the vertical unit) are much smaller, and therefore move less air. But keep in mind that a tower fan will still meet or surpass the needs of most homeowners.
- Speed Settings: Most tower fans have at least three speed settings: low, medium, and high. However, many offer additional settings that allow you to finely tune the amount of air circulation in the room.
- Blades vs. bladeless design: Most tower fans feature small motorized blades. In a bladeless fan, though, hollow tubes conduct airflow at high velocities from holes or slots in the front of the fan. The benefits that come with choosing the latter include fewer parts to clean, quiet operation, and a safer fan design overall for households with children (no moving blades).
- Noise: Since tower fans have smaller blades, they're typically quieter than other types of fans. Most produce a low “humming” noise as opposed to the louder “whooshing” noise of fans with larger blades. The sound isn't loud enough to impede on conversation, and it's ideal for those who enjoy sleeping with white noise. On lower settings, tower fan will typically emit even less sound, leading some manufacturers to use terms like “whisper-quiet” and “calm.” If you don't like noise, stick with a tower fan that has a lower decibel rating.
- Oscillation: A majority of tower fans oscillate, or rotate from side to side, in order to direct airflow over a wider area. Consumers will typically find tower fans with an oscillating arc of 90 degrees or 95 degrees. A handful of tower fans on the market can oscillate a full 360 degrees, but unless you plan to place the fan in the center of a room, full-circle rotation is probably unnecessary. Some models also come with the ability to select the width of the oscillating arc.
- Added Features: Many tower fans have added features that increase their appeal to consumers. For example, remotes allow a user to start the fan, adjust the speed, and control the oscillating function from anywhere in the room. Some tower fans come with air filters that prevent dust, pollen, and pet dander from recirculating. Additionally, some models have ionizers that purify the air as it circulates through the fan.
The Best Tower Fans
Looking to cool down your home with a tower fan? Here are our top five picks for the best tower fan, based on consumer reviews.
1. BEST OVERALL: Pelonis 40-Inch Oscillating Tower Fan ($76.69)
The 40-inch Pelonis tower fan is the strong, silent type. You can adjust the airflow to one of three speed settings to find comfort using the LED display located on top of the fan or via remote control for bedside or couch convenience. There are easy-to-use indicators for mode, timer (up to eight hours), and speed. The display lights also shut off in 30 seconds, to ensure darkness in your bedroom at night. The fan offers a full 60-degree oscillation to stir air effectively. Amazon customers-who rate this fan 4.2 out of 5 stars-note its quietness and outstanding performance. Available on Amazon.
2. BEST IN TECH: Ozeri 3x 44-inch Tower Fan with Bluetooth ($124.95)
Add to your starter smart home with this tower fan from Ozeri. It can be programmed using its touch-sensitive LED control panel, an extended-range remote control, or a mobile app on your smartphone. And it boasts extra control over your comfort level: The three separate fans on this tower (each of which has three speed settings) can sync or run separately-creating a total of nine levels of airflow. Whichever you choose, the fan's canted fan blades will help reduce their noise so that you're left with the soft, soothing sounds of the airflow itself. The Ozeri packages 90-degree oscillation in a sleek, modern design of only 44 inches tall and less than 3 inches thick. As its 4.1-star rating on Amazon indicates, customers love the look and feel of this hi-tech tower fan. Available on Amazon.
3. BEST BLADELESS DESIGN: Air Choice 43-inch Bladeless Tower Fan ($131.99)
The Air Choice fan receives top marks in its bladeless category, supported by a strong 4.4 stars and praise from consumers. This 43'-tall ultra-quiet cooling tower oscillates 70 degrees and switches between three speeds and three wind modes. Plus, not only can you control power and level at a moment's notice from its remote, but you can also set a timer to have it shut off up to 7½ hours later. Count on the bladeless design of the Air Choice tower fan to keep children's fingers and pets' paws safe while you're keeping cool. Available on Amazon.
4. BEST VALUE: COSTWAY 40-inch LCD Tower Fan ($56.99)
While this 40-inch COSTWAY model costs less than most tower fans, it does not skimp on features. It quietly and smoothly oscillates. operates at three speeds and with three modes, all controlled from its LCD display or the included remote control. The 7½-hour timer setting is perfect for nighttime use while you sleep. Then, in the morning, pick it up by its handle to the next room you'll spend the most time in. Amazon customers rate it 4.2 stars for its good quality and sleep mode features. Available on Amazon.
5. BEST OSCILLATION COVERAGE: Airvention X01A Oscillating Tower Fan ($89.99)
Looking for total room-cooling power? The 43-inch Airvention X01A oscillates 100 degrees, providing better coverage than most tower fans. The three-speed fan offers the convenience of a remote control and a built-in timer. And, at its highest setting, this Airvention fan operates at no more than 50 decibels (about as loud as a pleasant conversation). While all the tower fans listed in our top picks are safe for kids and pets, Airvention prides itself on being safety-conscious without sacrificing power or airflow, thanks to the gliding grille design that prevents kids or pets from ever touching the moving blades. The XO1A receives 4.3 stars from Amazon customers for its quietness and stress-free design. Available on Amazon.